Web Analytics

Suspected arson attack at infant school in Aylesbury

|

A suspected arson attack caused extensive damage at an Infant School in Aylesbury.

On Wednesday 5th September 2018, at around 10.00pm, officers from Thames Valley Police were called to Bedgrove Infant School in Ingram Avenue by the Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service who were tackling a blaze at the school.

A fire had broken out in one of the sheds at the school, the fire spread to other sheds near to the school building and they were destroyed along with toys and other items inside. There was also superficial damage to the outside of the main school building.

Police believe that people may have been firing fireworks in the park behind the school and one may have made its way onto the shed to cause the fire. However it is unknown whether this was a deliberate act.

Inspector James Davies, the community and engagement inspector with Aylesbury Vale Local Police Area, said: ‘This act goes beyond mere vandalism, as it has not only damaged school buildings, but meant that the school could not open on the first day of term.

I am aware of ongoing antisocial behaviour in the Bedgrove area, although this has been largely unreported to the police.

In the last three months, we have been made aware of two separate incidents involving the irresponsible use of fireworks, and I would therefore encourage the community to inform police of any such incidents.

If anybody has any information relating to the fire please speak to one of our officers, or call 101, quoting reference number 43180272110.

Alternatively, you can visit https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/cor/tell-us-about-existing-case-report/ and provide all the details there.

The fire was reported to the Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service at 9.14pm. Two fire appliances with crews attended from Aylesbury fire station as well as one from Princes Risborough fire station. An officer also attended.

During the operation extinguish the fire a main jet, a ladder, a tool kit and a thermal imaging camera were used. The firefighters also isolated the gas and gave advice.

Share Button

Comments are closed.