Thames Valley Police will be holding a free cycle marking event on Friday 3rd July 2015 between 6.00pm and 8.30pm at the park off The Roperies and Tadros Court in High Wycombe.
Officers from the Totteridge Neighbourhood Police Team will mark your bike for free with a tamper proof wrap round label which literally takes one minute to fit.
You can also register your bike free of charge on the Immobilise website which will help to retrieve your bike in the event it gets stolen.
The Immobilise website links in with the National Mobile Property Register (NMPR) database which the police use to help identify stolen bikes.
Thames Valley Police have issued the following advice to cyclists who are serious about their bike to lessen the chance of it being targeted by thieves :
- Get a good bike lock. Hardened steel D-shape or check out the Sold Secure website for certified locks.
- Always lock your bike, even if you are leaving it for a couple of minutes.
- Lock your bike to an immovable object – e.g. bike rack or lamp posts.
- Secure removable wheels and take smaller parts with you (lights, quick-release saddles).
- Check if your bike is covered by your home insurance.
- Don’t park your bike in isolated or dimly-lit places.
- Never leave your bike outside your home unlocked, even just for a minute.
- Register your bike free of charge on the Immobilise website.
- Have your bike overtly marked or engraved.