Web Analytics

Man sentenced to more than two years imprisonment after assaulting staff at Aylesbury bus station

| May 7, 2018

Aylesbury Bus Station. (Archive picture)

A man has been sentenced to more than two years imprisonment after assaulting staff at Aylesbury bus station.

On Saturday 6th January 2018, at around 1.50pm, a man spoke to a member of staff at Aylesbury bus station to ask why his bus was late. He was told him to attend a portable cabin where the manager is based however the man burst in to the cabin shouting and swearing and demanding his £3 fare back.

When the manager explained he was unable to return the fare the man became aggressive and when the manager picked up a phone to attempt to call police the man knocked the phone out of the managers hand smashing it on to the floor.

A bus driver came to the manager’s assistance and asked the man to leave and to call customer services however the man walked towards the door but then came back and punched the bus driver in his face. The bus driver sustained two fractures in his eye socket and a broken cheekbone.

The man was arrested by police and officers found two cannabis plants and cannabis in deal bags at his property.

Police charged the man in connection with the offences on Sunday 28th January 2018.

Following a trial which started on Tuesday 1st May 2018 at Aylesbury Crown Court, a 50 year old man of Lynher Close, Aylesbury was convicted by a unanimous jury of GBH Section 20, battery, possession of a class B drug and production of a class B drug.

The man was sentenced on Thursday 3rd May 2018, also at Aylesbury Crown Court, to two years and three months imprisonment. He was also issued with a five year restraining order to prevent him from attending Aylesbury bus station, prohibiting him from travelling on Arriva buses and to have no contact with the victims.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Lynda Stearman, of Force CID based at Aylesbury police station, said: ‘This incident resulted in two members of the public being assaulted by [the 50 year old man] as they were going about their day to day lives in their place of work.

Violence of this nature will not be tolerated and we will continue to work to ensure every effort is made to bring offenders to justice.

Comments are closed.