Buckinghamshire County Council choose team of councillors for new Buckinghamshire Council Shadow Executive
Buckinghamshire County Council has agreed their nominations for the Shadow Executive of the new Buckinghamshire Council.
The nominations follow confirmation from Government in January 2019 that set out how the new council will be created, alongside plans for a Shadow Authority and Shadow Executive committee that will be formed to oversee the creation of the new Buckinghamshire Council for Wednesday 1st April 2020.
The plan for the creation of the new council proposes a Shadow Executive of 17 county and district members, consisting of :
- Eight district councillors nominated by the District Councils.
- Eight county councillors nominated by the County Council
- The Leader of the County Council as the chair of this group.
In a Cabinet meeting held on Monday 4th February 2019, the Leader of Buckinghamshire County Council, Martin Tett, presented his nominees for the Shadow Executive as follows:
- Cllr Bill Chapple, Cabinet Member for Planning and Environment, county councillor for Aston Clinton and Bierton and district councillor for Aston Clinton and Stoke Mandeville.
- Cllr John Chilver, Cabinet Member for Resources, county councillor for Winslow and district councillor for Steeple Claydon.
- Cllr Anita Cranmer, Deputy Cabinet Member for Education and Skills and county councillor for Beaconsfield.
- Cllr Clive Harriss, Deputy Cabinet Member for Planning and Environment, county councillor for Bernwood and district councillor for Icknield.
- Cllr David Martin, Chair of Regulatory and Audit Committee and county councillor for Chalfont St Peter.
- Cllr Mark Shaw, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Transportation, county councillor for Chesham and district councillor for Newtown.
- Cllr Warren Whyte, Cabinet Member for Children’s Services , county councillor for Buckingham East and district councillor for Luffield Abbey.
- Cllr Gareth Williams, Deputy Cabinet Member for Children’s Services and county councillor for Amersham and Chesham Bois.
The Shadow Executive will be formed as part of the creation of a Shadow Authority to manage the implementation of the new council bringing together the existing county and district councils.
The Shadow Authority will be formed 14 days after the official Orders that detail this change have been approved in Parliament, and will formally confirm the members of the Shadow Executive at the first meeting.
Councillor Martin Tett said: ‘I’m delighted with the County Council team for the Shadow Executive. All of these councillors have lots of experience serving local residents as county councillors, with five of the eight also District Councillors, they bring a wealth of knowledge, skills and experience from county and district councils to the table.
The choice of members ensures we strike the right balance between putting good quality capacity into the transition work whilst still retaining sufficient member capacity within the county council Cabinet to oversee the ongoing priorities we will still need to focus on during this period.
These nominations are a key step on the journey to the new council. There’s a lot of work ahead of us, and the Executive group will bring all the councils together to deliver the best council for our residents and communities for the future. I’m really keen to get together with our district council colleagues as proposed by Government to start making real progress on what is an exciting and historic change for Buckinghamshire.‘
Also confirmed today were eight county councillor deputies who will step in to take a place on the Shadow Executive if any of the core county council team are unable to attend. The deputy nominees are:
- Cllr Mike Appleyard, Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, county councillor for The Wooburns, Bourne End & Hedsor and district councillor for Bourne End cum Hedsor.
- Cllr Noel Brown, Cabinet Member for Community Engagement and Public Health and county councillor for Chess Valley.
- Cllr Tim Butcher, county councillor for Chalfont St. Giles.
- Cllr David Carroll, county councillor for Ridgeway East and district councillor for Greater Hughenden.
- Cllr Dev Dhillon, Chair of Children’s Select Committee, county councillor for Cliveden and district councillor for Farnham and Hedgerley.
- Cllr Netta Glover, Chairman of Buckinghamshire County Council, county councillor for Wing and district councillor for Wing.
- Cllr Lin Hazell, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, county councillor for Farnham Common & Burnham Beeches and district councillor for Burnham Church and Beeches.
- Cllr Roger Reed, county councillor for Denham and district councillor for Denham.