A woman has died following a fire in the bedroom of a house in Springfield Road, Stokenchurch.
Firefighters were called at 4.48pm on Saturday 7th March 2015. Two fire appliances with crews were despatched to the incident from High Wycombe fire station along with an officer.
On arrival at the scene firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house with a hose reel and were quickly able to bring the fire under control. Other crew members simultaneously used a fan to help ventilate smoke from the property and improve visibility.
During the operation to extinguish firefighters used one jet, one hose reel, four sets of breathing apparatus and a Positive Pressure Ventilation fan.
A woman was pronounced dead at the scene and another woman was taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.
Group Commander Mick Martin from Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service said: ‘Sadly, it was apparent that the female adult found in the bedroom had died. Our thoughts are with her family and friends, and the local community.‘
A cordon was established to secure the scene, and Thames Valley Police were called.
Mick continued: ‘A second female adult had left the property suffering the effects of serious smoke inhalation. She was assisted by firefighters and South Central Ambulance Service staff before being taken to hospital.
The property was fitted with a smoke alarm and this was heard to be operating by the first attending crews.‘
A joint investigation involving officers from Thames Valley Police and Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service was initiated immediately and is ongoing. At this stage the cause of the fire is not being treated as suspicious.
Crews from High Wycombe fire station returned to the area on the morning of Sunday 8th March 2015 to provide reassurance and offer advice to residents on the steps that can be taken to reduce the risks of fire in the home. They also offered to carry out safety checks and fit smoke alarms where these are needed.