The new Wycombe Leisure Centre at the Handy Cross Hub is expected to open on Tuesday 5th January 2016 coinciding with the opening of the new Coachway at the same site.
The old Wycombe Sports Centre is expected to close to the public this week, on Friday 18th December 2015. Members of the Handy Cross Indoor Bowls Club and Places for People staff will bid a fond farewell to the sports centre when it closes its doors for the final time on Friday night.
The leisure centre and coach way are the first phase of Wycombe District Council’s Handy X Hub project – which also includes a new Waitrose supermarket that is due to open in the spring.
Leader of Wycombe District Council, Cllr Katrina Wood, said: ‘I know many people have grown up using the old centre and their first memories of participating in sport may have been forged there – but the old centre has served its time.
The new state-of-the-art leisure centre will inspire a whole new generation and will be a place where new sporting memories are made.‘
Visitors to the new leisure centre will be able to :
- Take a dip in the 50m swimming pool.
- Youngsters will be able to splash around in the community pool and the new Splash Pad zone.
- Scale the 10m high climbing wall.
- Play a wide variety of different sports in the multi-use 12-court sports hall.
- Get in shape in the 150-station gym.
- Work up a sweat in fitness classes held in the spin and dance studios.
- Play squash on the new squash courts.
- Use the four-rink bowls centre, meeting rooms, a sauna and steam room.
- Enjoy a refreshing drink in the café area by the reception.
Stuart Lee, who will lead the team in the new centre, said: ‘It will be a bitter sweet day closing the doors to the old centre for the final time but the team and our members cannot wait to get in to the wonderful new centre.
The new Wycombe Leisure Centre has something for everyone and memberships for all budgets – so come and join us in the new year.‘
Members will be able to use Court Gardens Leisure Complex in Marlow and the Risborough Springs leisure centre in Princes Risborough in between Friday and January’s opening of the new centre.