Web Analytics

Wycombe Wanderers 3-3 Cheltenham Town

| April 8, 2017

Cheltenham Town were the visitors to Adams Park on Saturday 8th April 2017 for a League Two match against Wycombe Wanderers.

Cheltenham made a bright start to the match with two early attempts on the Wycombe goal in the opening minutes of the match. It was in the seventh minute that Cheltenham went a goal ahead when Billy Waters scored from close range.

The visitors scored a second goal in the thirteenth minute when Harry Pell shot into the bottom right corner of the Wycombe goal.

Wycombe came back with a goal in the twenty first minute through a right footed shot from Garry Thompson.

Just before half time, in the forty first minute, Cheltenham were reduced to ten men when Jordan Cranston was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Matt Bloomfield in the Wycombe half.

The scores were levelled just two minutes later when, in the forty third minute, a shot by Garry Thompson found the top left corner of the Cheltenham goal.

The Chairboys had done well to come back from two goals down and went in at half time knowing this was going to be a tough game to win. However they started the second half in a determined frame of mind and had several attempts on the Cheltenham goal in the opening minutes of the half.

In the eightieth minute Wycombe’s Garry Thompson was brought down in the Cheltenham penalty area by Harry Pell. Joe Jacobson duly converted the penalty in the eighty first minute to give Wycombe the lead by three goals to two.

Just one minute later, in the eighty second minute, Wycombe’s Michael Harriman was shown the yellow card for a foul on Daniel Wright in the Wycombe penalty area. Billy Waters took the penalty shot which was saved.

However Billy Waters made amends for the penalty miss just a minute later when he scored with a close range shot which found the centre of the goal. Once again the scores were level.

Both sides had further opportunities in what was an exciting last ten minutes of the game however the score remained three goals apiece and the points were shared.

Wycombe achieved 57% possession during the game and of their thirteen shots on goal eight were on target. Cheltenham placed seven of their eleven attempts on goal on target. The match saw twenty five fouls. Fifteen by Wycombe and ten by Cheltenham.

After today’s game Wycombe slip to eleventh position in League Two with fifty nine points from forty one games. A place in the play off zone is looking more unlikely especially if they can only manage a draw against Cheltenham who are languishing in twenty first place in League Two, just one place above the relegation zone, after today’s game.

The attendance at Adams Park was 3,596 (281 from Cheltenham).

Comments are closed.