On Thursday 18th May 2017 the 49 newly-elected members of Buckinghamshire County Council set to work at the first meeting of their four year administration.
Patricia Birchley (Chiltern Ridges) received the Chairman’s chain of office from her predecessor, Val Letheren, who was presented with an album of photos from her year in office.
The returning Leader of the County Council, Martin Tett (Little Chalfont & Amersham Common), welcomed the new Members who make up almost a third of the new County Council.
Martin Tett : ‘I thank the people of Buckinghamshire for voting for their County Council in such numbers. It is important that those of us elected now turn our attention to delivering the best results for the residents and businesses of our fantastic county.‘
Martin introduced the new Cabinet which will be responsible for day-to-day decisions in implementing the Council’s budget and policies. They are:
- Deputy Leader and Transport: Mark Shaw (Chesham)
- Education and Skills: Mike Appleyard (Wooburns, Bourne End & Hedsor)
- Children’s Services: Warren Whyte (Buckingham East)
- Health and Wellbeing: Lin Hazell (Farnham Common & Burnham Beeches)
- Planning and Environment: Bill Chapple OBE (Aston Clinton & Bierton)
- Community Engagement: Noel Brown (Chess Valley)
- Resources and Finance: John Chilver (Winslow)