Web Analytics

Bedroom fire at property in Amersham caused by bedside lamp that had fallen over

| August 24, 2017

Fire broke out in the bedroom of a property in Highfield Close, Amersham during the late morning of Thursday 24th August 2017.

Firefighters were called to the incident at 11.27am. One fire appliance with crew attended from Amersham fire station and one from Beaconsfield fire station attended.

The fire was caused by a touch activated bedside lamp falling onto a foam mattress. The occupant of the property was not aware the lamp had fallen onto the mattress and left the room. A short while later the occupant of the property smelt smoke and on investigation found the heat generated by the 60 watt bulb in the lamp had caused the mattress to begin smouldering.

The firefighters removed the mattress from the property, the mattress was destroyed as a result of the fire.

The bedroom, hall, stairs and landing of the property suffered damage from smoke and molten foam.

During the operation to extinguish the fire a hose reel, two sets of breathing apparatus and a Positive Pressure Ventilation fan were used. Before leaving the firefighters also carried out a Home Fire Risk Check.

Comments are closed.