Local High Wycombe community radio station, Wycombe Sound 106.6FM, has been named as the ‘Station of the Year’ at the 2017 Community Radio Awards.
At an awards ceremony held in Bristol on Saturday 23rd September 2017 Wycombe Sound 106.6FM won two Bronze awards, four Silver awards and in the ‘Station of the Year’ category a prestigious Gold award. The station received awards in every category where nominated.
The full list of awards won by Wycombe Sound 106.6FM was as follows :
- Gold : Station of the Year – Wycombe Sound 106.6FM
- Silver : Female Presenter of the Year – Philippa Sawyer
- Silver : Male Presenter of the Year – Rob L’Esperance
- Silver : Innovation Award – Raspberry Pi Uplink Solution
- Silver : Speech and Journalism Radio of the Year – The Late Show with Joe Shennan
- Bronze : Community Show of the Year – Mid-Morning
- Bronze : Sports Show of the Year – The Wycombe Sound Saturday Sports Show
Still in the first year of a five year OFCOM licence the award winning radio station, which broadcasts from studios based in Bridge Street, High Wycombe, is already gaining recognition at a national level.
Philippa Sawyer, Programme Director at Wycombe Sound 106.6FM, said : ‘I am absolutely delighted with the recognition we have received from the Community radio sector across the UK. Congratulations to all those who received awards and nominations.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all our volunteers and everyone who has contributed to the station. We have producers, presenters and others who work behind the scenes producing content across a wide range of genres that is worthy of any commercial/professional station. Many of our volunteers have no previous broadcasting experience.‘
Chris Phillips, Managing Director at Wycombe Sound 106.6FM, added : ‘To be recognised at this level before we reach our 1st birthday is a dream come true. Our birthday party will now be extra special!‘
Further information can be found on the Wycombe Sound 106.6FM website.