From Sunday 28th July 2019 Arriva Midlands will be implementing a number of changes to bus services in High Wycombe.
The service revisions follow a recent review of bus routes around the town. The bus operator has undertaken a careful assessment of its routes in conjunction with Buckinghamshire County Council, which currently provides financial support for certain journeys within High Wycombe, in order to ensure the level of service continues to match passenger demand.
The move follows the imminent completion of a long term, successful partnership between Arriva and the County Council, which has seen financial support for local bus services gradually tapered out over the past few years.
A spokesperson from Arriva Midlands (South), explained: ‘We are incredibly proud of all we have achieved in partnership with Buckinghamshire County Council, but with the funding agreement coming to an end in July , we have taken the opportunity to review the patronage of these services and make amendments where necessary in order to safeguard their continued financial viability.
We are delighted to say that the majority of journeys that receive financial support from the Council have reached the point where patronage is sufficient to cover the operational costs, and we will be continuing to operate these journeys on a commercial basis. Unfortunately, there are a small number of journeys that currently experience such low levels of usage that they are not commercially viable and will therefore no longer be able run them.
We have been careful to look at all the routes involved in their entirety, on a holistic basis, and have made alterations that will minimise any disruption to our customers. We are of course mindful of the impact this may have on some areas of the community, but the decisions we have made have been done with appropriate consideration and we assure our customers that our aim is always to deliver the best services to customers and focus them on where people will benefit from them the most.‘
Mark Shaw, Buckinghamshire County Council Deputy Leader and Transport Cabinet Member, said: ‘We’ve been pleased to work together with Arriva over the past few years, to support more frequent buses and to help put these services on to a sound financial footing so they can operate without further public subsidy. Of course, we’ll continue to work with bus operators to support routes that are socially necessary to help people reach local services.‘
As an overview, the changes being made to services in High Wycombe will be :
1/1A High Wycombe – Chesham
- On Monday to Saturday the 10.30pm from Wycombe and the 11.15pm from Chesham will no longer operate.
32 Booker – Micklefield
- On Monday to Friday the 10.32pm from Booker and 11.11pm from Mickefield will no longer operate. The 9.54pm from Mickefield will now terminate at Wycombe Bus Station.
- On Saturdays the 10.32pm from Booker and 11.11pm from Micklefield will no longer operate.
33 Totteridge – Castlefield
- On Monday to Friday mornings the 6.32am from the Jolly Bodger will terminate at Wycombe Bus Station and the 6.37am from Totteridge will now commence at 6.54am from Wycombe Bus Station.
- On Monday to Saturday evenings the 10.23pm from the Jolly Bodger will no longer operate.
- On Sundays the 6.27pm from the Jolly Bodger will no longer operate.
34 High Wycombe – Cressex
- This service will no longer operate following the end of the Arriva contract with Bucks CC and will be partially replaced by new service 8 provided by another operator.
- Desborough Avenue will continue to be served by Arriva buses 800 / 850 and service 32 will provide an alternative service for Booker Asda.
- For information on alternative services to Cressex Business Park visit https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/transport-and-roads/buses-and-trains/changes-to-bus-services/.
35 High Wycombe – Bourne End
- This service will be renumbered 37A to avoid confusion with the daytime service 35 provided by another operator.
- On Monday to Friday the 10.20pm from Wycombe and 10.53pm from Bourne End will no longer operate. The 9.48pm from Bourne End will now terminate at Flackwell Heath.
- On Saturdays the 10.20pm from Wycombe and 10.53pm from Bourne End will no longer operate. The 9.48pm from Bourne End will now terminate at Flackwell Heath.
- On Sundays the 8.55pm from Wycombe, 8.24pm and 9.29pm from Bourne End will no longer operate. The 7.50pm from Bourne End will now terminate at Flackwell Heath.