Work is due to start on a number of upgrades and improvements in Aylesbury town centre.
The improvements aim to enhance the existing space with attractive lighting and other new features.
Buckinghamshire Council is committed to the positive regeneration of our county and in particular our market towns, as outlined in the Buckinghamshire Regeneration Framework, which has recently been adopted. This document includes specific town centre plans to create great, sustainable places to live and visit, where our businesses and communities can thrive and prosper.
As part of a package of investment, these initial measures will bring forward immediate improvements to the heart of Aylesbury, kick-starting the wider regeneration of the town.
These improvement works are due to start in March 2024 and will include:
- Upgrading the power supply to Market Square – increasing power availability to many more market stalls, allowing for more traders and more variety with a new layout. Greater power capacity will also provide scope for more varied and bespoke public events, attracting more residents and visitors to the area.
- Improving the lighting in Market Square including a newly designed lighting scheme to celebrate and illuminate the historic features of the square, also restoring power to historic lanterns and lighting the clock face on Market Tower.
- Cleaning and repair works to the statues and monuments in Market Square.
- Public realm improvements to Cambridge Street to introduce a permanent pedestrianised section with brand new street surface and lighting.
- Making permanent the traffic orders in Kingsbury Square prohibiting general traffic from the route outside the Rockwood pub and thus enhancing the space for pedestrians / shoppers and visitors.
Rachael Matthews, Deputy Cabinet Member for Town Centre Regeneration at Buckinghamshire Council said: ‘These are exciting times for Aylesbury and these upgrades will make a real and immediate difference to the heart of the town. We will be enhancing the many beautiful heritage features of the traditional market square as well as increasing opportunity for an even bigger and better market offer in the coming months.
We’re ambitious for Aylesbury town centre and creating more attractive and enticing places for our residents and visitors. We have reviewed the 2020 Kingsbury and Market Square public realm proposals and have reassessed these to guarantee best value of taxpayers money as well as ensuring any improvements benefit the whole town.
The original funding remains protected for the improvement of Aylesbury town centre.
We will of course engage with traders, businesses, the Town Council and other stakeholders as we shape the wider plans. We all want an even better and brighter future for Aylesbury and getting these works under way shows we really mean business.‘
*Source of information : Press release from Buckinghamshire Council.