A carpet of snow several inches deep greeted residents of High Wycombe and South Buckinghamshire on the morning of Friday 1st February 2019.
Persistent snow fell overnight (Thursday 31st January / Friday 1st February 2019) causing disruption to travel for early morning commuters. Following earlier suspension, by 9.00am there were still delays to the following bus services :
- 1/1A limited service to Chesham Broadway.
- 30 – Downley : Service suspended.
- 31 – Penn : Service suspended.
- 32 – Booker/Micklefield : Service suspended.
- 33 – Castlefield/Totteridge : Limited service, not serving Castlefield or Totteridge.
- 34 – On diversion not serving Suffield Road.
- 37 – To Bourne End only, one bus only and subject to delays.
- 48 – Service suspended.
- 300/X30 – To Aylesbury via the X30 route only.
- 800/850 – To Henley only, limited service, subject to heavy delays.
A full list of bus service disruption and stop closures can be found on the Buckinghamshire County Council website.
While many main roads were passable the untreated roads in residential areas were particularly tricky to navigate. The high number of cars still parked outside houses at 9.00am showed that many had decided not to risk making the journey into work.
The Buckinghamshire County Council ‘School Closures’ web page showed, at 9.49 am, that 309 school closures had been recorded in Buckinghamshire.
The extent of the snow fall throughout Buckinghamshire can be seen from the various web cams located at the Household Recycling Centres in Buckinghamshire available at the following links :
- Aston Clinton
- Bledlow Ridge
- High Wycombe
UPDATED 4.00pm on Friday 1st February 2019 : As everyone prepares to go home all Arriva buses services in High Wycombe are currently operating, however some routes are subject to delays. Services 32, 33 and 37 are operating a reduced service but on normal lines of route.
Team members at the Heights Nursing Home in Downley built a couple of snowmen watched by the residents from the warmth of indoors as can be seen in the Tweet below :