Web Analytics

Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service issue Christmas fire safety advice

| November 25, 2014

Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service have issued some seasonal fire safety advice about the dangers of fire at Christmas time.

Decorations, cards, wrapping paper and Christmas trees can all act as extra fuel for a fire sparked by candles, overheated sockets, faulty fairy lights or cigarettes. The risks increase when you add cooking, drinking, parties and guests into the mix.

The short video above from the national Fire Kills campaign shows in graphic detail how a fire caused by faulty decorations can take hold in well under a minute.

Neil Boustred, head of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service’s community safety team, said: ‘Although fire safety is vital at every time of year, the extra distractions of Christmas make it especially important to be vigilant.

Festive celebrations bring extra fire risks into the home, including the distractions of a crowded house while cooking, slower reaction times if you are drinking alcohol, and the potential dangers of overloaded plug sockets, flammable decorations and unattended candles.

We’re just asking people to be aware of the risks and to make a few simple checks, so that everyone can enjoy a happy and safe Christmas.

Here’s some seasonal advice issued by the Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service to help you celebrate in safety:

  • Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home. Test your smoke alarms weekly and never remove batteries to power presents. Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service will carry out a free home safety check, fitting free smoke alarms where needed. Book one by ringing 01296 744477 or emailing [email protected]
  • Check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas and offer to test their smoke alarms.
  • Never leave cooking unattended. The majority of fires start in the kitchen, so this is a high risk area. Avoid cooking while under the influence of alcohol, and always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.
  • Never leave candles unattended. Keep candles out of the reach of children, and away from decorations, cards, wrapping paper, fires, lights and heaters.
  • If you smoke, make sure cigarettes are fully extinguished, and take extra care if you are tired or have had a drink. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight.
  • Don’t overload sockets – ensure only one plug per socket. Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except those that are designed to be left on, such as freezers.
  • Switch off Christmas lights and unplug them before you go out or go to bed. Check your ights conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598).
  • Always use an RCD (residual current device) on outdoor electrical equipment. It instantly switches off the power if there is a fault and can be found in DIY stores.
  • In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999. Make sure everyone staying with you over Christmas knows what to do in an emergency.

Comments are closed.